“I feel like a dope addict waiting outside the Towers for my first hit of the day.” –Manfriend, scratching his arms like an addict eagerly waiting for me to finish photographing this soup.
If you get The Wire reference, give yourself 5 bonus points. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, you need to immediately dedicate the next four months of your life to watching every. single. episode.
Anyways, back to the soup. This is, proudly, my first DTMS Original Recipe®. About a year ago, I decided to attempt black bean soup, but none of recipes I found were quite what I wanted–relatively quick and easy, and supremely flavorful. So, I read a few different takes, went to the store, and grabbed what struck my fancy. For reasons unknown to me, I had the amazing forsight to actually write down every step of the madness that was about to ensue. And praise Jesus because this is DELICIOUS. Next time you see me, pat me on the back.
Bubbles’ Black Bean Soup
A DTMS Original
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, mince
- 1 large shake cayenne pepper (don’t be scared.)
- 1 small shake each:
- garlic powder
- white pepper
- black pepper
- 2 cans black beans, drained and lightly rinsed
- 1 can refried beans (I use fat-free and they work great)
- 1 small can tomato sauce (NOT paste)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, spices. Stir and cook another minute or so.
- Add refried beans and tomato sauce, heat through.
- Add black beans, heat through again
- This is where it gets fun. You need to run the soup mixture through a food processor. I have a baby one, so I do it in batches. I like to use an old family heirloom to transfer the soup:
- In the same stock pot, warm your broth.
- Add back the bean mixture and bring to a boil. Simmer…mmm 20 minutes or until your boyfriend gets the shakes.
- Top with (light) sour cream and cilantro (parsely works great too if that’s what you have). Or if you have no herbs, no one will judge you.