You know those meals where everyone is completely silent while eating, save a few, low “Mmmmmm”s? This is one of those.
About 2/3rds of the way though, I said to Manfriend, “We haven’t had this in a long time, huh?” “Far, FAR too long.”
This hits all the right notes of a fantastic weeknight meal: Easy. Fast. Few Ingredients. No Oven. HUGE flavor. Filling. Satsifying. Quick Clean Up.
There’s not much more to say. It’s the epitome of simple, happy food. The glaze and butter are the stars of the show, so I’m sure you could adapt this quite well with chicken or tofu (if you roll that way). Not fish…with this glaze? Gross.
Back to it. We enjoyed this with some nice cold Boddington’s (Manfriend’s ‘surprise present’ for me. Can you say bowling ball?) after two very long days in the office and it was just what we needed to bring us back to life. Enjoy 🙂
Steak with Parmesean Butter, Balsamic Glaze, and Arugula
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus Parmesan cheese shavings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 12-ounce rib-eye steak
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon (packed) dark brown sugar
- 4 cups (lightly packed) arugula
- 2 large lemon wedges
(First, get your mis-en-place together…this all comes together very quickly so do yourself a favor and get your prep right:
Now we’re ready to rock.
- Mix grated cheese and butter in small bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer to plate.
- Add vinegar, shallots, and sugar to skillet; boil until reduced to glaze, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
- Divide arugula and Parmesan shavings between 2 plates. Squeeze lemon over.
- Slice steak; place atop arugula.
- Top steak with Parmesan butter. Drizzle lightly with glaze.